Deutsche Klassic Autoberfest, a German-themed event celebrating Klassic German automobiles, German music, food and beverages, will be held on Saturday, Oct. 29, 2022, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. on the charming streets of Historic Norcross.
Building upon the events of the 2021 inaugural success, which hosted 150 Klassic German automobiles and more than 3000 spectators, this year’s event will feature:
- 200+ Klassic German automobiles showcased along the streets of Historic Norcross, GA. Marques representing BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Volkswagen and Opel. All 25+ years old.
- Judging and award competition for all Klassic entrants including “People’s Choice” spectator voting.
- Mainstage featuring live German music.
- Authentic German food and beverages.
- Features and activities for kids of all ages.
- Proceeds benefit North Fulton United, FC, a youth-focused sports and development charity affiliated with Special Olympics.
For full details, event schedule, registration and images from the 2021 Deutsche Klassic visit www.Deutsche-Klassic.com. Klassic car entrants: Space is limited. Pre-registration and entrant fee are required for Klassic German car entrants. Spectators: Entry is free. Spectators are encouraged to register online to receive event updates and to be eligible for prize drawings.
Deutsche Klassic Origins/Background
December 2020, three Norcross/Gwinnett County friends and car enthusiasts were having a German beer in Norcross, GA. As it normally happens with this trio, the topic of classic German cars and car shows entered the conversation.
All three commiserated about the fact that is rare for classic German car owners, spanning all German Marques, to gather to showcase their automobiles and interact together. In fact, the only known annual classic German car shows are in the northeast US and west coast.
Further dreaming and discussions fueled a resolve to create an All-German classic automobile event for the southeast and that their neighborhood of Historic Norcross was just the place build it. They pictured a unique experience that classic German car owners/collectors would enjoy and features that would appeal to an audience not limited to traditional “car show” attendees. Additionally, they all shared a goal of attracting and engaging the “next generation” of classic German auto enthusiasts and assisting a youth charity.
In March 2021, the wheels were set in motion. First stop, the City of Norcross to pitch the event concept and secure city approval, space and support. While Norcross has a long history of supporting classic car events, most notably the long-running British Car Show held each September, here was a trio requesting the dedication of prime Historic Norcross streets and other city resources for a new all-German car event. Applications and discussions followed, and the city approved an event date of Oct. 30.
It was go-time. The founding Deutsche Klassic trio now had city approval and an official date. As a first-year event, lacking budget, infrastructure, market awareness and any web or social media presence, the team had to scramble. Two additional Norcross residents and auto enthusiasts with marketing, event and logistic skills were recruited to round out the all-volunteer Deutsche Klassic Team.
Months of hard work, creativity and partnering paid off. Oct. 30, 2021, at 8 a.m., the city streets were blocked off for the event, the stage assembled and the show field car entrants and sponsors load-in began. Charity North Fulton United, FU kids and parents greeted car entrants, sponsors and volunteers with smiles, coffee and donuts.
Inaugural event highlights:
- Enthusiasm and interest in a German themed “Autoberfest” proved strong.
- 150 Klassic German cars lined the streets of Historic Norcross with plenty of auto eye candy for all. Marques representing BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Volkswagen and Opel. All 25+ years old.
- Over 3500 people attended the event, with strong local and regional attendance.
- Car entrants competed for 15 top awards, including “People’s Choice” awards for each Marque selected by event attendees.
- The show field featured local food and beverages, including two craft breweries.
- Proceeds of $1000 benefitted their charitable partner, North Fulton United FU, associated with Special Olympics.
- Fun for kids of all ages. Activities included photo and selfie props and trick or treating at the Deutsche Klassic and several sponsor tents. The Historic Norcross Merchant Association hosted a Halloween trick or treat event that commenced at the end of the Deutsche Klassic Autoberfest.
- Based upon the event success, the City of Norcross approved Deutsche Klassic 2022 and agreed to co-sponsor and provide additional city services and support in 2022.
- The Deutsche Klassic Team emerged stronger and unanimously agreed to build and present Deutsche Klassic 2022.
The 2022 Deutsche Klassic event will be held Saturday, Oct. 29, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. in Historic Norcross, GA. This year’s event will be bigger and better.
Deutsche Klassic Team
Gary Beck, Peachtree Corners
Corey Korpita, Norcross
Hendrik Lenze, Norcross
Tom Doherty, Norcross
Lisa Robb, Norcross